Patent Agent negotiates and drafts patent agreements; prepares documents for filing and processing. May work with both legal and product development teams to ensure proper filings. Being a Patent Agent must be registered to practice with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. May require a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty. Additionally, Patent Agent typically reports to a supervisor or manager. To be a Patent Agent typically requires 2 to 4 years of related experience. Gains exposure to some of the complex tasks within the job function. Occasionally directed in several aspects of the work.
Patent Agent Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Patent Agent to join our team.
- Participate in HPE invention harvesting, vetting, and disclosure processes;
- Contribute to various patent portfolio and competitive analysis activities;
- Draft patent applications and work directly with inventors, patent portfolio managers, and other members of our legal team;
- Engage in training, knowledge sharing, and other career development opportunities.
- Patent Agent Registration with the Indian Patent Office;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- Flexibility to accept new and different challenges in a fast paced, high-tech environment;
- Positive attitude, creative spirit, passion for technology and IP, and strong motivation to excel;
- Preference for candidates with US/EP experience who have personally drafted 50+ patent applications;
- B.Tech. degree and/or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science;
- 5+ years of experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications at a prominent law firm and/or corporate IP department;
- Ability to work with clients in a team-oriented partnership.