Develop usable, tangible products, using knowledge of biology, chemistry, or engineering. Solve problems related to materials, systems, or processes that interact with humans, plants, animals, microorganisms, or biological materials.
Director of Engineering Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Director of Engineering to join our team.
- We are not afraid to try and discard new ideas, as long as it makes us more efficient at delivering value;
- Architect, implement and deliver features on the product roadmap to increase product adoption;
- Communicating with various project stakeholders to clarify and contribute to feature requirements;
- Promote, apply and improve agile software development practices;
- We use a hybrid of Kanban, Scrum and Extreme Programming. We focus on delivering value to end users as efficiently as possible;
- Source control: Git;
- Concurrency Toolkit: Akka;
- We drive continuous improvement (Kaizen): As a team we change our processes regularly, often as part of a retrospective outcome;
- Lead project planning and prioritization;
- Conduct performance evaluations and one-on-one meetings with team members;
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team;
- Hire and lead an elite team of 40-50 software engineers;
- Work with the team to ensure sufficient processes and tools are in place to meet the requirements of the business and customers;
- Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management;
- Demonstrate strong personal values and a commitment to our mission and customers.
- Passion, energy, personal accountability, and a desire to lead others to excellence;
- 5+ years of experience in a formal people leadership role;
- Deep appreciation for the importance of elegant solutions to Technology challenges;
- Collaborate successfully with product teams and a broad set of internal partners (across multiple internal groups);
- Excellent at communicating with both tech and non-tech coworkers;
- Experience with EC2 or Openstack;
- Partner with peers in technologies to find opportunities for code sharing, common services, joint development, etc;
- Experience with a NoSQL database;
- 10+ years of Application development experience;
- Detailed interpersonal skills and ability to partner with executive leadership to push solutions forward;
- Build and lead a high-performance team of Application Developers;
- Understanding of modern web technology stack – server and client;
- Ability to communicate complex technology details in simplified language to key stakeholders and other non-tech audience;
- Experience in planning & delivering significantly challenging engineering projects;
- Modernize Risk platforms to enable winning through the cycle and support industry-leading credit practices.