Sommelier manages the daily activities necessary for maintenance and promotion of the organization’s wine collection. Identifies and purchases wines for the organization. Being a Sommelier monitors the conditions of the wine cellar, ensuring optimal storage. Works with the kitchen staff to develop food and wine pairings. Additionally, Sommelier recommends and serves wine to guests. May require an associate degree or its equivalent. May possess or be working towards certification. Typically reports to a head of a unit/department. To be a Sommelier typically requires 3-5 years of related experience. Has gained proficiency in multiple competencies relevant to the job. Works independently within established procedures associated with the specific job function.
Sommelier Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Sommelier to join our team.
- Provides outstanding wine service in all restaurants, assists in the creation of wine menus;
- Reports any complaints about wine service to the Maître D’Hôtel, ensuring fast and courteous response to guests;
- Increases wine sales by demonstrating personal attention, applying appropriate selling techniques and focusing on customer needs;
- Provides wine knowledge training to dining service and bar colleagues on a regular basis;
- Oversees the inventory of wine and produces reports;
- Pair wines with food: recommends wines that will complement the different styles of cuisine and different methods of food preparation.
- Cruise industry experience is an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of fine wines and premium beverages;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Sommelier certificate;
- Passion for hospitality and customer service driven;
- A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work on board;
- Computer Literacy;
- Fluent English, oral and written. Any additional European language is considered an advantage (Italian, Portuguese, German, Spanish and French);
- Possess a valid passport and when possible a seaman book copy;
- At least 1 year experience as Sommelier in 4/5 star restaurant, hotel or resort;
- High School certificate.